Monday, December 30, 2013

What To Write When You Don’t Know What To Write?

We, writers, get hit with this question a lot of times. We are staring at a blank screen or down at a sheet of paper the words that were there one minute ago flowing so nicely so effortlessly but now are gone within a blink of an eye. That’s because your expectation for those words were high at which point you decided that they weren’t good enough and you dismissed them, yes you dismissed them.

Now don’t go beating yourself up over this just acknowledged the fact that your expectations were high for those words that had yet to be put on the page. So just acknowledge that you are doing this, that you are doing this because now you have the awareness to change that habit.

So instead of having any sort of expectation for these words that are flowing from the Divine Inspiration, just let them be words simple words with nothing attached to them. Because often times when our standards are too high, the intern afflict ourselves with the dreaded Writer’s Block.

I learned a great deal while reading Jeff Vandermeer’s Wonderbook, the best things that came from this book so far has been the section about Writer’s Block. There are two things I got from reading the section, first was to change your perception of Writer’s Block to the actual blocks with letter, like the picture. And secondly is to distract yourself from that writing issue at hand. Through distracting yourself, you leave yourself open for the Divine to inspire you without hinders from anything or anyone.

Just remember to TAKE ACTION and write down whatever comes to your mind no matter how silly it may seem to you at the time. Suspend all judgment and attachment to the words that come through and just write them down or type them down if you are at your computer. 
Letter Blocks *wink wink*


I’ve had my battles with Writer’s Block over the years when I started to take up writing and for me it won’t be days or weeks for me it would turn into month and even years. The stories sitting in a notebook on my desk or sitting in my computer folder collecting cyber dust, begrudging me that I hadn’t complete them. But since reading this book, I haven’t finished it yet but it’s amazing how years of battling with Writer’s Block it all changes within a matter of a couple of pages from this book.

Even before sitting down to type this post up, I started to wonder what I was going to write about today. What knowledge that I have that no one else has? What can I give you, the reader that no one else has given them before? That’s the when the title came to me, so instead of judging and attaching any meaning to it, I let the words flow and here I am doing something I love and following the whisper of my heart to type just the words that need to be heard with zero attachment or judgment.

No comments: